I. Position Title:
Visitor Services Operative
II. Reporting To:
Visitor Services Assistant Supervisor
III. Primary Function/Job Purpose:
The Visitor Services Operative collects admission fees and ensures visitors' safe and enjoyable use of the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site through positive interaction, providing site orientation, guided tours in both official languages, and interpretive presentations. Visitor Services Operatives work closely with other sections on site such as the Corps of Commissionaires and Military Interpretation.
- Operate kiosks, performing the duties of cashier for both individuals and groups of visitors.
- Maintain personal cash float as directed by the Supervisor.
- Escort individuals and groups on guided tours of the site in both official languages.
- Distribute brochures and explain establishment and operations.
- Address visitor concerns and collect visitor feedback.
- Monitor visitor's activities to ensure compliance with establishment regulations and safety practices.
- Take part in interpretive scenarios and special interpretive programming.
- Provide bilingual reception and visitor orientation by staffing the Visitor Reception Centre.
- Operate the Tides of History and provide bilingual visitor reception.
- Operate the Harbour Worth Defending and provide bilingual visitor reception.
- Provide visitor orientation in other duty stations as required by the daily schedule.
- Carry out basic inspections of visitor reception areas and report maintenance issues via the chain of command.
- Provide basic maintenance/cleaning of work spaces.
- Conduct research and support development of interpretive programming.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Interpretive experience at a similar site or museum an asset.
- Retail or Point of Sale experience an asset.
VII. Other Competencies/Characteristics:
- An interest and ability to interact with the public.
- Ability to work in a team or group setting.
- The ability to communicate in both of Canada's official languages is a condition of employment.
- Applicants must be willing and able to obtain an Government of Canada Security Clearance and Criminal Records Check.
VIII. Working Conditions:
- Works in a standard office environment as well as outdoors on a rough, uneven surface in all types of weather and indoors in historical exhibits. Periodically also works in other environments (classrooms, outdoors.)
- Generally works a standard work week, however, periodically must be available to work outside those hours and/or on weekends.